Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Reason for this (and every) Season

The message and meaning of this post radically changed in the last few minutes: Primarily intended to serve as a reminder to listen closely to the moving lyrics of this season’s timeless classic carols, I now endeavor to impress upon you how far we’ve strayed from the heart of Christmas, and perhaps convince some of you to focus your attention more clearly on the Lord this year.

Today, as I often do before settling in to write in this very public cyber journal, I “Google Imaged” the word “Christmas” to find a suitable picture to place at the top of this post. Saddened, though not terribly surprised, the search results yielded nearly nothing that had to do with the true meaning of this holiday – the Birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I found sparkly trees and ornaments, packages and bells, and plenty of women scantily clad in outfits which vaguely resemble a “Santa costume”. But Jesus, as He so often is, was few and far between amidst these earthly images. It wasn’t until I searched the term “Christian Christmas” (which is by far the most redundant phrase I’ve ever seen), that I was able to find something truly fitting.

For a few weeks now, I’ve made it the commitment of my heart to be conscious of the words and images that I allow to seep into my head. The Enemy throws so much at us these days that it is often impossible to see past the lies and the clutter to the Truth – especially this time of year.

We all fall prey to it in one way or another, and I’ll be perfectly honest, I love visiting the tree at Rockefeller Center and wrapping gifts with holiday tunes playing in the background. But this year, I feel so much more blessed than in years past. Notwithstanding the pleasant circumstances of my earthly life, the condition of my heart is what is driving this pure joy. I am blessed that the Lord has called me to focus my eyes on Him in everything I do this Christmas.

I often arrive at work with tear-stained cheeks from listening to music that glorifies His name, while on my morning commute. I awake with a song in my heart that speaks the Truth of this holiday. And each time a carol plays, I am urged to send up my prayers with the utmost thanks that I know the ultimate joy of having a relationship with and celebrating Christ.

We are so incredibly fortunate (and undeserving, I might add), to have been created by a Father who loves us enough to make the ultimate sacrifice, so that we may live with Him in a perfect eternity one day. Though earthly presents quickly lose their luster after the tree comes down and the ribbons thrown away, the heavenly gift of Emmanuel – God with us – is always shining as a beacon of truth. We should be thankful and humbled by His grace.

So this Christmas, I urge you to fix your eyes on Heaven with a grateful heart. Thank God for sending his son to this place to die so that we may know life. And maybe, just maybe, the joy that Christmas morning brings will stay with you each day throughout the year…

Merry Christmas and God Bless You All….



O come, O come, Emmanuel; And ransom captive Israel; That mourns in lonely exile here; Until the Son of God appear. Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel, Shall come to thee, O Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment