Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Taking the Stage



I remember that feeling like it was yesterday: The butterflies, the heat of the lights, and the sound of the crowd mulling about the theatre finding their seats. Nothing was more exciting than the few minutes I had to myself backstage before a performance. I would stretch and warm up, I would visualize my piece in my head, and I would pray. I felt alive.

I’ve told you about my history as a dancer. It was my first love and the hardest thing I’ve ever had to give up. I began dancing when I was two, and yes, you guessed it, that photo is one of my first dance classes (I’ve come a long way since then). I continued training through high school and college, and had the honor of dancing with some of the most inspiring and talented choreographers and performers I’ve ever seen. For the vast majority of my life, dancing was at the center of it.

As I grow, the role that dancing plays continues to change. Unfortunately, for the last year though, it’s not played much of a role at all. You know the story: I have work, I have plans, I have commitments – life, somehow, always manages to get in the way.

Recently though, I was presented with an opportunity. The company for which I danced and choreographed in college decided to host an Alumni Benefit Concert and sought out former company members to choreograph and perform. After some soul-searching and flip-flopping, I finally bit the bullet, submitted my application, and began choreographing.

Since then, I’ve been rehearsing with a dear friend of mine, and the two of us are set to perform a duet this Saturday. The piece is beautiful – it’s a contemporary number set to two songs from the Across the Universe Soundtrack: “Black Bird” performed by Evan Rachel Wood and “Let it Be” performed by Carol Woods and Timothy Mitchum.

I would be lying if I didn’t say, I’m nervous. I’ll be the only performer who is not currently pursuing a career in dance in some capacity, I haven’t danced in over a year, and the ManBoy will be seeing me perform for the first time – A high-pressure situation to say the least.

As I prepare for this weekend, that rush of anxiety has come flooding back. It’s different now, and yet comfortingly familiar. The prayers have doubled in number (along with the salads I’m eating) and the excitement is beginning to creep in…wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment