Monday, May 13, 2013

A Few Firsts

To say that I am experiencing growth right now would be an understatement. I’m certainly growing in many ways spiritually, emotionally; bust most of all, physically! We are on daily bump watch as my belly gets rounder and rounder. Now at nearly 18 weeks, there’s really no mistaking I’m pregnant – or at least I tell myself that in hopes that people aren’t staring at my gut, questioning if I should cut back on the calories. I’ve also really taken fondly to my new maternity clothes – they are designed to accentuate the baby bump and make it look oh so cute!

Tip for Mamas-2-B: Maternity Spanx are about the best invention since sliced bread! I bought two pairs from Motherhood Maternity and I wear them every time I’m in a dress or a skirt. Especially with the summer coming up, they are perfect for keeping you from sweating and chafing and they give a nice round smoothness to the belly! Just sayin’.

Last weekend, Hubs and I traveled up to Boston to celebrate our cousin's wedding with the whole family! It was great to show off my little belly and muse about what family gatherings will be like going forward with Little Ones present.

On that Sunday, my beautiful Mother-in-Law planned an absolutely perfect early "First" Mother's Day for me. We brunched at Hamersley's Bistro in Boston and then toured the Public Gardens. Baby B got his/her first t-shirt and also her/his first book - none other than the famous, Make Way for Ducklings. On our tour of the gardens, our first stop was the duckling statues in honor of this wonderful story. Of course we posed for a photo! We also took a ride on the swan boats. All of this was a completely new experience for me! I couldn't have imagined a more perfect Mother's Day!




This past Friday, May 10th, marked exactly one week from my next appointment - the 20 week ultrasound - during which we’ll find out if this Little Munchkin is a boy or a girl! I am literally bursting at the seams (in more way than one, depending on the outfit) to find out! I completely respect and admire everyone who waits until they deliver to find out the gender, and there was a time when I thought I would do that too, but now, with the level of uncertainty that surrounds pregnancy in general, I feel if there’s information I can get, I’m going to grab at it! Plus, let’s be honest, I’ve never really been one for delayed gratification.

To make matters all the more exciting, over the weekend I officially had another "first" - I felt my first flutters! I was woken up at 5:00 AM due to the extreme nasal congestion I was experiencing this week while fighting off a cold, and was overwhelmed by this strange and magical sensation! It truly feels like a cross between rippling water, popping popcorn and butterflies (the actual creatures with wings, not that nervous feeling you sometimes get). It’s pretty amazing to feel this little life inside of me and serves as a strong reminder not to take for granted the privilege of carrying it. I can’t wait to continue to feel this baby moving around inside me as the weeks go on. I am just constantly amazed at God’s goodness!

On Sunday, the "firsts" just kept coming - my first Mother's Day at home with my family. It was a special day that I met with a completely new perspective. At my home church, each year on Mother's Day they call first time pregnant moms, new moms, first time grandmothers and others to stand and be honored by receiving a potted flower. I love the tradition, but have never been able to stand up - until this year! It really meant the world to me to get my first flower.

At home, although every girl in our family gets a small gift on Mother's Day, I got actual Mother's Day cards and plenty of presents to wear as my belly continues to grow. All around it was a day I will never forget!

Stay tuned for our next big update: The Gender Reveal!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment