Friday, April 17, 2009

Biting the Bullet

I finally bit the bullet.

After months of staunch refusal, I have arrived at what all along has seemed inevitable. I have started a blog.

In a society where words are typed rather than handwritten, throngs of troubled individuals flock to overpriced therapists to "talk things out", and networks like Twitter and Facebook have become forums of instant gratification for those who believe the rest of the cyber world truly cares how they are feeling on a minute-by-minute basis, I suppose blogs are a perfectly logical progression from the once locked diaries of old. And yet, I admit to having trouble reconciling this rationale.


{Pause for reflection}


My apologies, perhaps I've revealed my cynical side too soon. This is, after all, our first introduction. Hello.

Truth be told, an entire site dedicated to my thoughts and feelings, a haven in which I am free to write as much (or as little...though that seems unlikely) as I'd like, without fear of retribution, for those of you who know me, seems right up my alley. Yes, some would say I'm a talker - a regular old Chatty Cathy, if you will. I've been called verbose by some, and loud by...well, pretty much everyone. It seems I have a lot to say about a lot of things (and sometimes I even have a lot to say about nothing). I'd like to think that most of the time I know what I'm talking about, but, on the rare occasion that I don't, I'll never let on...

So here we are; you don't know me, I don't know you, but from what I know of this "blogoshpere" we've all helped create, we will learn a lot about each other on here, so perhaps an explanation is in order.

I am 23 years old, I've been out of college for about a year now, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of this whole "welcome to the Real World" thing.

{I mean that in a strictly non-John Mayer, non-8 unemployed, self-indulgent twenty-something alcoholics living in a mansion together kind of way...although that could be cool too}

Having gone to school in Manhattan, I had grown quite accustomed to life as a New Yorker until I landed a job as the Investor Relations/Marketing Associate at a start-up hedge fund in Connecticut. Thus, upon graduating (I mean that literally, I went apartment shopping on Graduation Day in the hours between the ceremony and our celebratory dinner) I moved out to Greenwich, CT, days before starting work. Within moments of my arrival, I instantly regretted my decision to set up shop in a place that was eerily reminiscent of Pleasantville.

Most of my college friends had wisely elected to stay in New York City (hereafter referred to as the "City" as it is the Greatest City in the World), I had no familiarity geographically or socially with the area, and I was recently single (an event and the serendipitous aftermath of which will receive it's own much-deserved post at a later date). Nevertheless, it was safe to say, I was stuck between a rock and hard place (or in this case, a Bentley and a Ferrari...neither of which I could claim as my own).

But, in the spirit of new beginnings, I decided to make the best of the situation (not for lack of trying to find a willing craigslister in need of an unfurnished 1 bedroom sublet until May). Over the last year, while learning the tricks of the trade at my new job, remembering to pay my bills on time, and putting an obscene number of miles on my car, Escape (pronounced ES-CAHP-AY), driving in and out of the city to maintain my social life (and my wardrobe), I can say, with confidence, that I've come a long way.

I am still the fun-loving, hot-headed, excessively opinionated, shopaholic, drama queen I've always been, but with an adapted sense of responsibility and a larger bank account (one of the perks of life as an "adult" - I use that term loosely).

I'll be returning to my beloved Manhattan upon my lease term ending on May 31st and will begin looking at Upper East Side apartments shortly. Perhaps one day, when that bank account has grown to a much larger (and by larger, I mean, astronomical) size and I entertain the idea of having little people running around in pastel seersucker and cable knit, I will return to Connecticut, but until that time, spending 10 hours a day there at my office will suffice.

So welcome to my world. I'm looking forward to the adventure of sharing random thoughts, exciting news, and feelings of all kinds with the many new friends I hope to make (fingers crossed...I'd hate to be the kid eating lunch alone in the cafeteria of the blog world)....And of course, I promise to keep you fully updated on my Love of Shoes and Baby Blues (hint: the eyes of a certain someone) in the days to come...

Oh, and a whole-hearted thank you to my dear friend, Amanda, for opening me up to the world of blogging...please accept my apology for my initial skepticism.

2 comments:

  1. ohhhh there it is... welcome. Yay blog world friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you won't be that lonely little kid, i promise! welcome!

    ReplyDelete