Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Take Me Out to the Ball Game


The verdict is in...It is official: I have the best boyfriend...ever! (duh)

We’ve all, at one time or another, been to a professional sporting event…No? {If you have not, I have nothing to say to you except, please get on that}. You may not know this but, I, despite my exceedingly girly tendencies, have a love for all things sports – sporting events, sports bars, men who play sports, etc. etc. etc. So, every spring, when the Good Lord graces us with yet another season of athletic hotties in tight pants running around a baseball diamond, I find myself just a little bit happier.

{That said, I am also a huge football aficionada, and the smell of crisp fall leaves makes me want nothing more than to throw on my jersey, park myself in section 4-D of the Giants Stadium parking lot, grill up some burgers, have a couple beers, and toss around a football.}

Nevertheless, my point is: I love baseball; a fortunate consequence of which is the thrill that comes with going to a baseball game! I can’t get enough – the hot dogs, the sausage and peppers, (the martini bar, if we’re talking about the new Yankee Stadium), the loyal, cheering (cursing, yelling, angry) fans, and the sounds of Frank Sinatra fading off into the night…nothing beats it.

Having been raised in the Tri-State Area by native New Yorkers and die hard Yankee fans, a love of pinstripes is nothing short of hereditary – a prerequisite, if you will, for growing up in this part of the country. As a little girl, we spent many spring, summer and fall (more than we do now) evenings in the Bronx, I in my Don Mattingly tee, my brother in a full Yankee uniform, and my dad, having usually just come from work, in a suit with a jersey thrown over his collared shirt. Those were the days.

My memories of that hallowed ground include attending Games 1 and 6 of the 1996 World Series, when the Yankees defeated the Atlanta Braves to win their 23rd World Championship, their first since 1978. This auspicious occasion marked the beginning of the Yankee glory days for those of us who were too young to remember the baseball greats of old. That team embodied a beautiful harmony of old world and next generation players including veterans, like Paul O’Neill (whose jersey I now proudly don), and promising rookies, like Derek Jeter.

Through awe-inspiring victories, disappointing defeats, walk-off home runs, record-breaking grand slams, and impossible catches, to The House That Ruth Built, we remained faithful. Now, in the words of the Yankees promo, “greatness has a new home”, and with it come new memories – the first of which I made last night.

The ManBoy, a Red Sox fan since birth, having previously been an employee of the Yankees Scoreboard and Broadcasting department (yes, you read that correctly), pulled some strings, and got us tickets to the first Yankees vs. Red Sox game to be played at the new stadium. {I’ll admit, despite the controversy surrounding the project, it really is a beautiful ballpark}. While the game, after two hours and 17 minutes of rain delay, didn’t turn out the way I’d hoped, there were a few glimmers of excitement over the course of the night.

In addition to back-to-back home runs hit by Johnny Damon and Mark Teixeira, both my name and my face were put up on the big screens! The ManBoy, earlier that day, had called in a favor to his former co-workers and low and behold in the middle of the game we looked up and saw “Yankees Welcome Jaclyn McLean”. I was so excited (and of course I snapped a photo)! Later in the game, one of the camera guys, who had spotted the ManBoy, came over and got a great shot of my face (laughing and pointing at my Red Sox-clad companion) that was then displayed on the massive HD screen over right field! What a good guy!

Needless to say, losing aside, it was an incredible night and a great way to start building memories at the new stadium! Of course I thanked him profusely and I’m even considering forgiving his terrible taste in baseball teams…but we’ll see.


Their New House

The Enemy (what a cutie)

The Rivals

How cool is that?

1 comment:

  1. Good to know information.

    I wanted to share a piece of advice for those who are on the look out for a good pair of sports shoes but are on a tight budget. Make sure you buy original shoes and avoid going in for imitations as these will give way in the long run and will not provide you the comfort and flexibility that an original shoe will offer.

    You can get great deals in many online stores offering discounts on genuine shoes and can buy them well within your budget without going in for cheap imitations. It’s always a good idea to spend a little more though and get the right shoes and experience the true comfort for which the shoe is designed.

    ReplyDelete