Friday, October 5, 2012

A New Dynamic: Playing Host to Mom & Dad



Before we moved to Tennessee, Hubs and I had a unique living situation out in the suburbs of Northern New Jersey. We, quite literally, lived next door to my parents. It was a little "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" without the lawn statues and columns. In reality, we did lead completely separate lives, but that really didn't do much to dispel the assumptions of those whom we told about our neighborly living conditions.

In truth, it was awesome living next door. We could meet up for Sunday dinners easily, we could mooch on leftovers, borrow cars, use the pool (!), ask favors from time to time (don't worry, it was reciprocal), and so on. 

When we were considering moving, Hubs looked at me and gently reminded me that I've never really lived away from home. I considered this a moment, and realized it was true. Save for a stint in London on study abroad and a short time in Dallas or South Carolina over summers, I had really always been within 30-45 minutes of my parents' house -- my home.

Needless to say, moving to Tennessee has resulted in a need, on our part, to embrace our independence. Not to say that we were "dependent" on them, but to some degree, just the feeling of their being close by was comforting. I'm finding that I am enjoying the time away and frankly, so long as we have Facetime and G-chat, mom is only a webcam away in case I simply can't proceed without her input. 

But this weekend we have a special treat! Mom and Dad are here to visit for the weekend and I couldn't be more excited! It is strange and fun to play host to them in our new home, and while I'm certain that when Sunday comes, I'll drop them at the airport with a heavy heart, for the time being, I am really proud to be sharing our new life with them! I hope they love it here as much as we do and come back to visit often!

No comments:

Post a Comment