Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Forging My Own Frontier: Confessions of a Home Cook


So some of you know that in the last few years I have become quite the active home cook. Hubs swears my food is delicious (I'm not sure if he's being entirely honest, but I'll go with it), so I just keep coming up with new ways to experiment in the kitchen. Sometimes I get it way wrong, but the days when I get it right, there really is nothing better!

I'm fairly certain that the catalyst for my love of cooking was the same as many women...becoming a wife. When you're engaged, you register for all of this professional-grade cookware, you start watching Food Network with reckless abandon and dog-earing (or "Pinning") Pottery Barn-esque scenes like a junkie. And then you get married. Something about becoming a wife triggers a chemical release in our brains that tells us (no matter how much of a feminist we are...or aren't), we want to make our man happy. And what better way to a man's heart than through his stomach!?!

Since moving to the South, I've started to expand my repertoire to include some southern classics. I've started watching more Paula Deen than Giada and adding about twice the amount of butter to my dishes. (Mom, ignore that...and the 5 lbs. I've put on in the last month or so when you come to visit).

But my true inspiration, recently, has been a woman many of you fondly refer to as The Pioneer Woman -- the one and only Ree Drummond. I'll spare you the excessive gushing over her fabulousness, as it really speaks for itself, but her recipes and overall outlook on life have really taught me about being "an accidental country girl". I've been reading her blog and watching her shows religiously and she inspires nearly every decision I make in the kitchen these days... from wearing my cowboy boots to whipping up some homemade spinach and artichoke dip for gameday. 

Her cookbooks (the second of which just hit shelves in the last few weeks) arrived today and I couldn't be more excited to dive into them!


I've been actively cataloging my most successful kitchen endeavors via Instagram the last few months, so here is a look at some of my recent homeruns!


Baked Potato-Inspired "Loaded" Filet
 

The Best Beef & Veggie Stir Fry Ever
 

Asparagus Soup & Pan Roasted Halibut


 Fish Taco Night! (One of our favorites)
w/ blackened tilapia, corn tortillas, lime cumin sauce, and all the fixins!


 My (almost) Famous Chorizo & Veggie Fritatta w/ Goat Cheese
A crowd pleaser every time!


 On the fly, gluten free chocolate bread pudding w/ whiskey sauce
(Note: For this one, I was watching an episode of Paula Deen where she was making bread pudding, I pushed Pause, trotted into the kitchen, grabbed what I had on hand, and whipped up this magical deliciousness! Good gracious it was tasty!)


 Pan Roasted Sea Bass & Scallops 
w/ Garlic Rosemary Polenta over Zucchini Ribbons


 Caprese Caesar Salad 
w/ Homemade Dressing and Parmesan Crisps


 Cowboy Ribeyes w/ a Cocoa & Coffee Rub



Bruschetta on Sourdough Boule
(this was one of Ree's)

 

Steak Pizzaiola


 Gluten Free Skillet Cornbread

 

Pasta w/Leeks & Pancetta
(also one of Ree's that Hubs saw on the show and casually said, "So Babe, you're making that for dinner tonight?" And so I did.) 


Apple Oat Muffins - so Fall-y & Delish-y (& Healthy) 

 

Four Cheese Ravioli with Italian Style 
Chicken Sausage & Homemade Tomato Basil Sauce

 

Wings Two Ways
Traditional Buffalo and Sweet & Spicy Asian Glazed
(also inspired by Ree) 

 

Roasted Beef Tenderloin Au Poivre & Peppercorn Cream Sauce
(inspired by Hubs' favorite dish at The Capital Grille) 


 Game Day Pizza Dip

Before
  

After

Homemade Coleslaw
 

Ree's Spinach & Artichoke Dip
(She's right, it is the best ever! No, seriously.) 

Before
  

 After
 


And finally...the most southern of southern dishes...


Pulled Pork 
(This one deserved a play-by-play)


The Dry Rub: The usual suspects

 

 

 
 
Building the Crust: Brown on all sides



Friends of Flavor: Garlic & Onions


Getting Cozy in the Pot


Full Disclosure: Used the bottled stuff this time


 Everybody in the Pool


 And then we wait.....


and wait...


But it is so worth it, because the finished product...amazing!
(Note: when I served this to Hubs' b-school friends, many of whom are from the South, they said it was the best pulled pork they'd ever had...I'll take it.)

 


Well, there you go. I just ate dinner and somehow, I'm starving again from looking at those! While I promise NOT to turn this exclusively into a cooking blog, I'm fairly certain this won't be the last you see of my food! If anyone is interested in specific recipes, feel free to reach out!


1 comment:

  1. work it girl!!!! im so proud (and now also hungry)!!! lovin these latest updates!!
    xoxox-Alex
    PS have u seen tennessee's dance team yet?? :)

    ReplyDelete