Monday, October 8, 2012

Simple Pleasures

I tend to think that Sundays are perfect for contemplating the simple pleasures of life. You get to sit in church and sing songs of worship to your Savior. You get to curl up on the couch and watch your favorite football team (a little Go GMEN is necessary...and just for good measure, Go Pats as well!). You get to spend as long as you want making dinner as a labor of love rather than a sprint to get food on the table. You may even be able to sneak in a nap or a long walk. All of these are among the simple pleasures that make my life feel so full.

We spent a truly wonderful weekend with my parents. We toured them around Knoxville, took them to eat at several restaurants, introduced them to the UT culture, and just generally enjoyed each others' company.

Sweet Hubs spent the better part of the weekend studying for finals and wrapping up several major projects. On Sunday, as he drove off to school and I drove my parents to the airport, I thought of how I might bless his day and that of his study group amidst the stress of exams and endless assignments. There was a distinct chill in the air and so my mom and I decided the perfect pick-me-up for the weary grad student is a big ole' bowl of homemade soup -- pumpkin soup in fact...and a few pieces of crusty sourdough to boot!

So after saying my farewell to my fabulous parents (whom I miss already), I drove to the market and picked up everything I would need to concoct this deliciousness. I scurried home intent on creating the most soul warming of soups any of them had ever tasted. Armed with yummy ingredients, a 5 quart Le Creuset dutch oven and a general know-how (as opposed to a legitimate recipe), I set about fixing this soup.

And friends, let me tell you something... it was absolute fall perfection!




When it was finally just right, I sent Hubs a little text asking if I could bring them all a little treat. Three large plastic containers, a sliced baguette and some plastic cups and spoons made for the perfect care package for the study group.




It was such a joy to feed them -- a simple pleasure indeed.

In fact, I was so thrilled with how it turned out, I went straight home and whipped up another batch for Hubs and me to have on hand this week!

The rest of the night flowed from this expression of love. We spent a few stolen moments cuddling on the couch near a warm fire and even got out some of our favorite fall decorations.






Once again, I was reminded that this season, if nothing else, is about being thankful for the many (many) blessings in our lives. I, for one, am taking a great deal of pleasure from considering that these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment