Friday, July 10, 2009

Boys will be boys...

…what does that even mean?

When you Google Image that phrase, there is an immediate onslaught of photos of boys doing silly things and looking up girls’ skirts. Is that all they’re good for?

Now don’t get me wrong, the ManBoy is truly unlike any other boy I’ve ever met. {Note: Despite our generation’s commitment to the term “guy” which, let’s be honest, is just someone who is supposed to be acting like a Man but just can’t get past boyhood, I’m going to be as specific as possible here}. He is responsible and intelligent, thoughtful and caring, witty and level-headed. He is loyal and understanding. He is honest and he has unshakable integrity. What can I say? I. Lucked. Out.

It must also be noted that as dedicated a boyfriend as he is, he is also a fierce friend to many. His personality his magnetic and it is no wonder he has the multitude of friends that he does. He is a guys’ guy with a kind heart. You heard it here first ladies, they do exist! (But you can’t have him, he’s taken).

This weekend (and next) however, the ManBoy and I are crossing a new bridge, so to speak. The sign ahead reads “Boys' Weekend This Way”. {Slam on the breaks!} Did I read that correctly? Perhaps we made a wrong turn at “Couples' Weekend at the Beach” or maybe we should have made that right at “Date Night”. Nevertheless, with neither GPS nor road map, here we are streaming straight for that terrifying sign.

A slight over exaggeration, you say? Perhaps, but hear me out, will you?

{Side Bar: When the ManBoy’s roommates read this, and they will (curse you Google Reader), you can bet I’m going to be ridiculed for it}

In the 9 months (yesterday) we’ve been dating, we, of course, have had our fair share of Boys’ or Girls’ Nights Out, reluctant weekends apart, and time spent with each other’s friends. We have not, however, encountered what we are about to this weekend and next.

Last night the boys boarded a plane headed for Palm Beach, Florida. And we’re not talking some run down, all I need is a bed, bathroom and beer fridge motel in Florida (though I don’t believe those exist in Palm Beach), we’re talking the Ritz Carlton Resort. {If the boys’ weekend in Florida is the wound, the Ritz is the salt}.

Before you jump down my throat for taking what undoubtedly sounds like a critical tone, I will admit that I’m not too proud to confess my jealousy. I mean, come on, who wouldn’t want to spend a long weekend at the Ritz?

The jealousy I can get past – it’s really not that. It’s this other nameless, faceless, nagging feeling with which I’m grappling. And NO, it’s not trust issues either. I trust the ManBoy to the ends of the earth (please see above description…no trust issues there). But it’s something – the “worst case scenario” playing on loop in my head.

I’m sure it will be a weekend of boys and beer, golfing and goofing-off but there’s always a chance of something going awry.




I’ve received a number of different opinions on the matter, many of which can be summed up to “boys will be boys”. But, I have to admit, I’ve always taken issue with that phrase. I’d like to give my ManBoy a bit more credit than that…

What do you think?


P.S. In the spirit of full disclosure, next weekend is The Annual Beach Weekend Reunion. Each summer I get together with a group of girls with whom I’ve been friends since elementary school. We spend the weekend at the shore catching up and sunning ourselves on the beach (drink in hand, of course). However, though we’ll be basking in the glory of my roommate’s beautiful shore house, it is a far cry from the Ritz…just saying.


P.P.S. Just because I need to share…I just received the following e-mail from the ManBoy’s mother:

Jac ...
I know you're probably lonely on this "boys' weekend" but it's a good time for facials and pedicures and pampering yourself ... and if you're staying in the city, live by my motto: "Buy Shoes!"

Call or email me anytime - or with any news from Our Favorite Golfer.

How much do we love her? So much!

1 comment:

  1. That is such a sweet e-mail. I hope you treated yourself to something!

    ReplyDelete