Thursday, July 16, 2009

Can God’s Love Save Anyone?

It has taken me a few days to write this post. I’ve needed time to allow the magnitude of what has been a life changing experience to sink in.

I recently, at the urging of my dear friend, Amanda, sat down to read the novel, Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. In my history as a student and a lover of books, not once has a piece of writing so profoundly affected me.

The novel is a retelling of the biblical story of Hosea and Gomer, set in the 1800s amidst the Gold Rush. The story tells of a man named Michael Hosea who sees and is instantly drawn to a harlot named Angel. The plot unfolds as Michael tries to convince Angel to leave her life at the brothel to be with him. Angel, having known no other life, does not want to be saved, nor does she trust that Michael has the capacity to be unlike all of the other men she’s ever known. Nevertheless, Michael remains steadfast in his commitment to helping her move on from her old life and teaching her about God’s love. Through Michael’s love for her, Angel experiences the salvation that comes from knowing the Lord.

The story is one that struck me to the core. I often found myself in tears for pages on end. Ms. Rivers’ ability to develop the soul of a character, to draw in her reader, and to establish a connection between the two is awe-inspiring. I felt uniquely close to the characters and was left with the sense that finally someone had expressed the feelings I’d not been able to for years.

The work is so inspiring I felt compelled to reach out to Ms. Rivers. Currently, I am in the process of drafting a letter to her thanking her for her writing and for providing me the tools to facilitate my next steps on a lifelong journey to completeness.

I understand that the work may not sound like everyone’s cup-of-tea, but I cannot impress upon you enough how revealing and truly transforming this story is. I urge you all to read it and I pray that as you experience Angel’s journey through the author’s words, you are, like me, left in some way changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment