Tuesday, July 7, 2009

It's A (Jersey) Shore Thing


Happy Friday to the Blogosphere! The sun is shining, my intern and I brought Dunkin' Donuts to the office this morning, and I'm headed down to the shore again this evening...not much to complain about...well...maybe just one thing...but we'll get to that in a later post.

First, a much deserved recap of last weekend; I hope everyone had an enjoyable Fourth. I certainly did.

Of course the weekend was spent down the shore at my parents’ house in Mantoloking, NJ. The photo, though slightly outdated as I have not yet uploaded new ones, is the view from the back of my house. Right on Barnegat Bay – Breathtaking!

We began our journey southward on Thursday evening, taking the train rather than braving the traffic that would have turned a short commute into an epic voyage. We arrived just in time for dinner. Burgers and sausage on the grill – Yummmm!

It’s incredible how the stress of the city, and of work, and whatever it is that’s nagging at you can instantly fall away upon entering that house. The sound of the bay lapping against the dock, the smell of the grill, and the warmth of family – it’s my sanctuary in the summer, and each weekend I take refuge in its keeping.

Friday was spent, like so many days at the shore, slowly waking up and eating breakfast, taking a much needed run, and moseying over to the beach. The ManBoy’s parents were en route from Massachusetts and, courtesy of the Christopher Columbus gene, took a scenic tour of the Garden State before finally getting back on track and arriving late in the afternoon.

It was such a pleasure to have them spending the weekend with us. They brought a dozen lobsters from the North Shore of Boston and cooked them up for the following day. We rode on the boat and basked in the splendor of summer. {I also may or may not have taken a spill into the bay…camera and sunglasses in hand…when a piece of the dock gave way beneath me. Needless to say, I was furious and am now in search of a brand new digicam…Ugh!} That evening we went to dinner and shut the place down. It was a perfect night – delicious food, great wine, close family, and sparkling conversation.

Saturday was another blissful day. We watched the Fourth of July Parade stroll right past the house; we waved flags and sat on folding chairs on the lawn. We went to the driving range and had cocktails and hors d' oeuvres on the front porch before our lobster dinner out on the back patio. The sunset ranked amongst the most beautiful I’ve seen and fireworks could be seen all around the bay. You truly can’t ask for much more.

On Sunday though, we woke with heavy hearts as the realization hit – as all good things do, the weekend had come to an end. Clinging desperately to every last moment of sunshine and relaxation, we said our goodbyes before heading back to the City. And, though I’m still trying to extract the pictures from a potentially fried memory card, the image has stayed with me. It was a weekend of time well spent with some of the people I treasure most in my life…not too shabby.

1 comment: