Monday, August 17, 2009

Marking a Milestone

This past weekend was one of a kind…yet another reminder of how lucky I am to have the ManBoy in my life, and how truly loved and cherished he is by the people who know him.

We travelled up to his hometown on the North Shore of Boston and spent the weekend with his family. I can say with confidence, the 8 hours of round trip driving and the exhaustion that has since set in were well worth it.

August 13th marked the 5 year anniversary of the ManBoy being diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer. Though I didn’t know him then, my heart breaks at the thought of his struggling to cope with that news at such a young age. He fought hard to win a battle he should never have had to fight and in doing so, has unknowingly inspired others.

Given this auspicious occasion, to which the ManBoy himself would never draw attention, I thought it appropriate to throw an impromptu celebration of his life and his achievements since that day.

His family gathered around him for cake and Prosecco on Saturday and toasted his impressive accomplishments in the 5 years since receiving information that undoubtedly changed him forever.

With his permission, I’d like to share with you my thoughts on the occasion. The following is the text from my card to him:

My Dearest Tim,

You’ll never know the feeling that struck me the day you told me of your battle with cancer. That same feeling comes back every so often and sends me reeling (as you know) and yesterday was one of them.

Please take the time to consider yourself five years ago. You were a kid, not yet glimpsing the idea of becoming a man (or a ManBoy for that matter) and you were faced with an obstacle beyond that which you could have ever imagined. You were a star athlete, a student leader, and preparing to establish a new life at college in New York. The world was at your feet, and I can only imagine how it must have come crashing down in that instant.

To envision a time when that light inside you – the light that draws me closer to you every day, was in jeopardy of being snuffed out, breaks my heart. Sometimes, I wish I could have known you then. I wish I could have held you and taken on any of your fear and pain. I’d like to think I would have been strong enough, and I’m determined to continue to be as we travel down this “forever road” together.

Amidst our busy New York lives, I wanted to take the time this weekend to remember how important a milestone this and every August 13th is and will be. Remember, each year, your accomplishments and the blessings in your life. Stay strong in faith and find comfort in knowing that all the while, God has been looking out for you, guiding you through challenges that have shaped you in ways you may never understand.

You are my answered prayer – a great blessing in my life and the lives of others. Do not, for a moment, try to make light of the importance of this day. And, remember always, how deeply loved and cherished you are by those around you.

With my whole heart, I am faithfully yours,

Jaclyn

A Few Verses to Consider:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Philippians 4:13

Don’t you be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness. - Isaiah 41:10

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. - Proverbs 3:5
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. - Matthew 11:28-30



No comments:

Post a Comment